Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Friday, January 07, 2005

one last update...

One last update before the Disney Marathon, then I'm off... I woke up in the middle of the night with a slightly sore throat. I had a hard time sleeping after that, but I managed. I'm still not sure whether it's psychological or the real thing, but I have been taking many doses of Cold-eez, Zycam, and lots of citrus fruit, so hopefully I can ward it off.

I went to the Disney Expo today with my running partner to pick up our race packets. The expo was so exciting-- full of running gear and goodies, advertisements for other marathons, and little Mickey Mouse dolls decked out in runner's clothes. (I resisted buying Mickey but did break down and get an overpriced long-sleeve t-shirt with the marathon course map on the back). Our complimentary shirt was a pretty sleek long-sleeved cool weave shirt that I could actually run in. But-- this weekend it will be at least 80. At least I'm used to training in warm weather, although definitely not at my best... not sure how that will feel for those who come from colder parts. This is my first year in Florida, and boy, is it strange how warm it is most of the time.

And most exciting of all, I got to meet Hal Higdon. I bought a copy of one of his books just so I could get him to autograph it, which he did, drawing a little set of Mickey Mouse ears next to his name. He was a slight, unassuming man and seemed very nice--he's running the half marathon tomorrow. I was surprised his table was not mobbed with people.

I'll be staying at Disney all weekend-- strangely, it's somewhat far away from much of Orlando, so Team In Training is putting us up in the resort... Thanks for the good luck wishes!

2 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Good luck tomorrow, Rachel! You're going to kick butt!

And Hal is a great guy. I've "spoken" with him several times on email and on the Chicago board. I'm hoping to meet him in person someday too.

Run strong!

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger April Anne said...

I hope you had a great race. (I found your blog, because you posted on Michelle's blog--who also ran at Disney.) I can't wait to read your race report. What is your next goal?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home