Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

5 days to go...

I went to the doctor's yesterday for a physical and found out that I've gained 10 pounds since I started marathon training. Before I started training, someone gave me an article about this phenomenon, claiming that distance runners are actually malnourished and don't get enough protein. I thought I was getting plenty of protein and avoiding too many carbs, but alas. I've always been good about staying consistently around the same weight, so I'm not happy about this new development. It's not all muscle, either, because I can see my clothes getting tight in non-muscle-y places...

If we're evolutionarily wired to run long distances, my body must be storing up for the long journey it thinks it's going on in search of nuts and berries for the winter.

Oh well, at least I have my health. I'll think about those extra pounds after the marathon.

3 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I gained about that, only it was when I started running. I had alot of the "I can eat that, I'm running" thoughts and wasn't careful what I ate. But I also think that when you are running that much, you just get really hungry. And if you are storing for long distance, some of its got to go in the extra holding tanks, right?

No worries, Rachel. You are in good shape and only 5 days away from a glorious race. :)

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Oliver said...

From today it's 4 days, isn't it?! Just recognized that we are running on the same day. I will run in Kevelaer, that's in Germany right on the border to the Netherlands. The run is limited to 333 participants, so, actually not that big one like yours and most probably we will havea bit different weather ;-)
All the best for the whole 26 miles ;-)

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks, Oliver, good luck to you in your race as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home