Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Thursday, December 09, 2004

heavy legs

I have a little ritual now after the very long runs (this weekend, half marathon plus five). I rest the day after, cross train on a bike the day after that, attend strength training class the day after that, and then save my first run for Wednesday. I do this because I'm nervous now about the achilles tendon, and I want to make it through the first marathon without injury. Yesterday when I went for my Wednesday run, my legs felt very, very heavy. Almost like they had lactic acid in them, but it was all in the front of the legs. I walked beforehand, stretched, and started running, but for the first 2 miles they did not feel good at all. The feeling then went away, but it was still odd. I'm looking forward to going out this morning to find out if I'll have the same problem.

3 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I'd say that's a good strategy. I know when I get "heavy legs", it means I'm due for a rest. Probably still in recovery from your race just last week. Sounds like the quads are still a little cranky :), but the run got them loosened up.

Keep on movin'. You're almost there!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks Jon! It's good to hear that others have experienced these little ailments as well. It's all so new to me that I'm always wondering if it's "normal."

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

It was actually my shins, not the quads, so at first I thought of shin splints...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home