Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Friday, December 03, 2004

half marathons

I decided to run a local half marathon this weekend. It seems to be a pretty big deal locally, and all the other people I've been training with are going to be there as well, so there will hardly be anyone running our planned 18 mile run. Our coach has suggested we run the half marathon and then turn around and run what we'll need to make up 18 miles. At first I thought I wouldn't do it, because from my other 5K and 10K experiences I know how hard it is to hold back in races. But although I also seem to be able to do 10-12 miles comfortably at a 9:30 pace, something happens after that point and I can't run any faster than 10 minute miles. Since at this point, marathon training is more important than being fast for a race on the way, I'm going to try to run 10 minute miles.

I was telling this to another runner and he suggested getting a GPS. I've seen these and been impressed by the way they allow you to create a virtual "buddy" to run with, also helping to control your pace if you want to run a certain way. They seem like the ultimate in runner's gear, and suddenly I want one...

I did a bake sale for the Leukemia & Lymphoma society this week and made several hundred dollars, enough to put me over my goal for fundraising. I've heard some runners disparage the Team in Training program, but I wanted the extra training, support, and camaraderie for my first marathon. I have always loved running but been apprehensive of doing the first marathon with very little guidance. Also it's nice to feel like I'm doing something indirectly to help my friend S, who will hopefully get a bone marrow transplant after the new year...

2 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Oliver said...

Wow, I am sure, another runner who will be more than fascinated by such an electronic running fellow. Do you give him a name (like Mark)? ...just kidding ;-)

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I was thinking it would be fun to get the GPS and give the virtual running buddy a name!

I am going to try to hold back in the half marathon-- I'll report whether it worked...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home