Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

weather

I'm checking the NYTimes and the Washington Post for news about weather-related delays as people are traveling for the holidays. Some of the running blogs comment on the difficulties of adjusting running schedules to wintry weather. After living several years in the Northeast, I can empathize. I remember running in Fort Tryon park in Manhattan in 24 degree weather, doing a steep hill and feeling like there was no oxygen to breathe once I got to the top. After that, I decided I couldn't personally run outside when it was below 28 degrees.

Having just moved to Florida six months ago, I feel oddly out of time and so far away from that world. The temperature has not yet been less than 60 degrees when I start running in the morning, even though it's almost December, and by mid-morning it's 80. It seems ideal, being able to run year-round, but the summer heat is relentless. This is to say nothing of violent thunderstorms every afternoon and three hurricanes. Occasionally I miss living in the Northeast and feeling like I was in the middle of it all. Sometimes Florida feels like a different planet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home