Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Achilles tendon

Although it didn't hurt during the 16 miler, my Achilles tendon has been sore the past two days. Yesterday I rode the stationary bike (boring) and attended my weekly strength training class, which is great. The teacher has run marathons before and always give me advice and good stretches. He advised not doing the recovery run scheduled this weekend (12 miles) and instead keeping the mileage light so the tendon could have time to heal. At the same time, I'll keep doing these strength training exercises my coach gave me (http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/achilles-tendinitis.html), which should help to build muscles to counterbalance the problem.

It's hard, though, to take a week off from serious running, once you get started in a program like this. Today I'm taking a break and on Thanksgiving I'll try a moderate 3 miles... I'm so tempted to do a Turkey Trot but I know that with other people running around me I would push myself to run too fast, which is maybe not a good idea right now.

Dinner last night: African sweet potato and black bean stew, from October's Cooking Light. No meat, but I did get waylaid by a tempting package of prosciutto at the grocery store beforehand...

I'm looking forward to a Thanksgiving visit from my best friend, brining the turkey, making my mother's German apple stuffing, and having friends over who love Thanksgiving food but don't know how to prepare it.

4 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Running Chick said...

Rachel! I just stumbled across your blog...welcome to the running blog family. What marathon are you training for and when is it? Tell us more about how you got here!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Running Chick! I'm training for the Disney Marathon on January 9... I've loved running for many years but have only in the past year worked up my nerve to try 5K and 10K races and finally to train for a marathon... I saw that you recently ran your first in Hartford-- it was great to read about it!

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Disney?! How cool is that? Welcome to the family Rachel!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks, Mark. Nice website! I'm enjoying getting acquainted with other running blogs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home