Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Seven days and counting...

Today was the last time I would officially meet with my Team In Training buddies for an officially scheduled run-- an 8 miler. We are in the taper, which is going really well, as I have tons of energy and no visible signs of injury. Temperatures were comfortable in the low 60s, and the sun was just rising as we ran past the orange groves and horse pastures on the trail where we always meet. We were taking it easy.

Our coach gave us some last minute tips, but I still have so many questions. I know not to start off too fast, but how fast is too fast? Are the pace calculators that predict your marathon time based on other races accurate? Should I wear my Forerunner GPS? Am I going to hit the wall after Mile 20? Probably these questions will only be answered once I actually experience a marathon. Until then, it's unknown territory. As an article in today's NY Times, about having children, says, "It's like a lot of things: you make it happen, then it happens to you.

2 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

If its a big race, you can't help but start out slow as the crowd starts moving. If you start slow enough that you think you are going too slow, then you are ok (so I am told). And I would wear the Forerunner. I'm not sure if you will have tall buildings around but you can manually lap the miles according to markers too. It makes a good timer as well.

Good luck this week with remaining calm. I understand its like trying to keep a racehorse calm at the starting gate. :)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the advice, Jon. I think I will take the Forerunner. And it's good to know I'll be starting off slow, especially since there are over 20,000 people running this marathon. Jeff Galloway says that if you go fast for the first three miles you seriously hinder your ability to run fast later. Don't want to do that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home