Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Monday, December 27, 2004

cold...

Although the recent wave of cold weather that hit most of the country only affected Florida with some temperatures in the 40s, I had the strange experience yesterday of a 25 degree drop in temperatures that happened while I was running. I got up at 5 to go for a 10 mile run, checked the internet weather, noted that temperatures in Orlando were around 67 degrees, and dressed accordingly-- shorts and a tank top, with an extra long-sleeve to put on after the run. By 5:45 I was in my car, headed to the trails that are thirty minutes from where I live and where the Leukemia Society has been training us for the marathon. It began raining on the way and by the time I got out of my car, still in the dark, the wind was fierce and there was a driving rain. I put on that extra long-sleeved top.

Only 4 of my teammates showed up, for which I was grateful, because if nobody had been there, I don't think I could have faced running in the dark in the rain on a deserted trail. But as we started running, the wind and the rain got worse. I ran with two other people, and we had very little to say to each other because it was so uncomfortable to talk with the sheets of rain hitting our faces. The only sound was the clop-clop of our feet on the asphalt, reminding me of horses. The first five miles were entirely into the wind, which was tough. At the five mile marker I stopped under a pavillion and felt my legs, which were as cold as ice. Coming back was better because the wind was at our backs, but I was happy to get to my warm car at the end, when I noticed the temperatures had fallen from 67 to 42.

This is nothing to complain about, because I'm lucky to be able to run year-round here in Florida, unlike others who have to venture out when it's only 4 degrees. But it's a very disconcerting feeling to have the temperatures drop dramatically and without warning. On the bright side, ten miles was a breeze! I'm so thrilled I can run this far without any soreness or tiredness afterward. I felt even more of a sense of accomplishment because I'd forced myself to get up so early and did it all in bad weather. My reward was thinking about the jacuzzi I'd take once I got home.

2 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Good job sticking it out in the typhoon! Hey, ya needed to get some hurricane training in anyway, right? That cold probably was very good for you legs too. Brings down the inflammation in the muscles after a loooong run like that.

Great job!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger susie said...

Good for you for getting out there. It's funny how all temperatures are a matter of perspective. But a 25 degree drop is huge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home