Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

a bad day for running

I was excited to go running today after getting a new pair of Mizuno Mercury's. Back in early November, my beloved pair of Mizuno Mercury's was getting worn out, and the local running store convinced me to buy a pair of Mizuno Alchemy, which have been nothing but trouble since I first wore them for runs longer than 5 miles. Blisters, foot pain, you name it. So despite the expense, I broke down and got the new model of the old Mercury's.

I was trying to cross-train and rest after Saturday's 12-miler, thinking that two days without running should have been enough of a break. And still the same problem-- despite walking beforehand, stretching carefully, and starting off with a slow jog, I could feel what I think is a shin splint on the muscle slightly to the outside of my shin-- that "heavy legs" feeling again. I'm so upset about this-- no Achilles tendon problems now, but shin splints? With the marathon less than a month away, and our last 20 miler this weekend... Someone told me about an exercise that involves leaning your back against a wall and lifting your toes up toward your knees, but aside from that, I don't know what to do. Does RICE really work?

I have been in a funk about this all day.

1 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Yup, RICE. I did RICE and it helps, but you still need to get to the root of the problem. I did the compression part while lying on the floor with legs up on the sofa. I used a bag of ice and wrapped it to my leg with an ACE-type bandage to hold it them.

I also wrapped mine with the ACE during the day. It made them less painful when walking and I got fewer "twinges" during the day.

I also had some luck with ice massages. Freeze the ice in a dixie cup and then use the frozen cone of ice to run the sore spot on your shin.

Some self massage with just plain hands throughou the day was good too. It kinda kept the area from getting tight.

A month is pretty close so its hard to say "back off on mileage". Maybe an extra rest day when you can squeeze it in.

I hope they heal up soon for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home