Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Saturday, December 11, 2004

early Christmas arrival

Yesterday my Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS arrived in the mail. I couldn't wait for today's 12 mile "recovery" run to try it out. I met the other Team in Training people at 6:30 at a local trail with somewhat monotonous scenery. My running buddy from last week's half marathon was there, and she was up for running together. For the first two miles again, I had that "heavy legs" feeling, which is actually in the front of my shin, so I wonder if it's shin splints. It went away eventually, though, and I felt OK for the rest of the run. No incredible soreness anymore after 12 miles, which is a great feeling-- I think my body is actually used to the distances of the recovery runs.

The GPS seemed to fluctuate widely in terms of pace. There were moments when it told me I was running 8:30 miles, when I was certain from my pace that I was going slower. At other times it would give readings of 11:30 when I was sure we were going faster. I'm not quite sure what that was about-- I just turned it on and ran with it. Sometimes I would hit the lap button at the mile markers to see how we were doing, because at the end of a "lap" it flashes up the time. In one wooded development it was having trouble detecting satellites. However, at the end of the run, it neatly summarized my data for me and filed it under History, even letting me know how many calories I burned. Cool. I'm not sure why the pace readings were so disparate, though.

2 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I've found the same problem with the pace if there are trees or cloud cover. It seems to get confused about the pace and always marks it slower. In the end, it seems to calculate mileage correctly though. It may just be the instantaneous pace calculations that get funny.

Now you get to be spoiled with it, like I was. :)

Watch out on the shins (broken record Jon here). That's how mine started out. Sore at the beginning, but then going away during the run. Then they came back worse. Make sure you are stretching and icing them if they are the least bit sore. I'd hate to have them ruin your big race.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the warning about the shins. The discomfort is in the muscle part just below the knee on the outside, which doesn't seem to be where the injury websites describe shin splints, but I guess they could be all over that area. I found a website with a number of treatments here (http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161-shin-splints-treatment.htm)

Part of the half marathon course this past weekend was on cobblestone streets, so maybe that started it. Who knows-- guess I'll be taking a break from running for another couple of days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home