Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Friday, December 24, 2004

recovery runs

I definitely believe it takes me almost a week to fully recover from very long runs, primarily in terms of my (slightly) injured areas (achilles tendonitis and shin splints). After taking a break from running from Saturday through Wednesday, I went for a three mile run, and I was disheartened that I could feel some soreness and discomfort. But today, with misting weather and temperatures in the 60s, I felt like I was soaring. I was running faster and my legs felt light and capable. This has put me in the best mood all day, carrying me through a potentially stressful round of last minute Christmas shopping and a pleasurable round of holiday baking that culimnated in my devouring an entire plate of Snickerdoodles. Sunday's scheduled run is a 10 miler, part of the taper prior to the marathon, although it will be hard to get out of bed after a weekend of decadent eating and holiday merry making. Happy holidays!

2 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger susie said...

Don't you love those good runs? I missed mine today, but I'm going to squeeze it in tomorrow morning before the contining eating takes place!!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

The good news about Christmas time is there are carbs a plenty! You'll be all set for the race. And it sounds like your body is recovering nicely, time to taper, time to rebuild the muscle for the hustle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home