Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Friday, April 29, 2005

afternoon running

I almost always run in the mornings before work, usually around 7 a.m. At that hour in Central Florida, it's still cool, all the bougainvillea, plumbago and other exotic flowers that seem to bloom year round are covered with dew, and I always feel like I'm starting my day off right. Yesterday I was too tired to get up early, so I decided to run after work.

Around 5 pm these days, temperatures are still in the low 80s, but the humidity has not yet kicked in (it will soon-- then no more afternoon running). I changed in my office and turned on the iPod and the Garmin Forerunner. (A side note-- I've had the Garmin for four months now. The battery only fully charges to 5 hours. What's up with that? It started out with 13 hours.) I did my few minutes of walking and stretching and hit the road, taking a new loop all the way through downtown Winter Park, an upscale shopping and restaurant district, through a neighborhood of multi-million dollar mansions, then back to the campus. 4 miles.

The afternoon run felt harder than usual. The temperatures were getting to me a little bit, and I had a stitch in my side and stomach cramps-- my first thought is always, what if I have an attack of appendicitis in the middle of nowhere? The stitch went away after awhile, but the smell from all the cars at rush hour didn't make the best air for breathing. I was pleased, however, to see that running at 5 o'clock in Central Florida does wonders for one's tan. I can't believe how strong the sun is here.

When Runner's World printed articles during the winter about running in the cold, I was grateful I didn't have to think about that. I probably will have to get used to running in the heat, though, without getting heatstroke (which has happened to me before). As your northern race calendars start to fill up with spring and summer races, our season here is starting to wind down. Last year I ran a brutal 5K on the 4th of July, when the temps hovered at 90 by 8 a.m.

I suddenly don't want to run the New York Marathon anymore. I registered for the lottery, but the numbers aren't drawn until June so I'm wondering if I can withdraw. Marathons require so much training, and the thought of dealing with all these little injuries that spring up from nowhere and doing 14-milers in August just doesn't appeal to me right now. I may not be cut out for marathons-- I do enjoy half marathons; I know that for sure-- but the daunting prospect of training for another full one is, at the moment, making me think it might take the love of running out of me entirely. Does this make me a wimp?

7 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Of course it doesn't Rachel! You have to run for the reasons that appeal to you. Marathons are big committments that can be very punishing on the body. They are all about hard work and perseverence PLUS they can challenge the notion of having fun while running if you let them. That said, I usually do have fun training for marathons. I guess it is all in your state of mind and what kind of goal you have for your marathon.

Do what feels right and just have fun with it. :)

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Running Chick said...

Not a wimp. No way. A marathon has to be something you really, really, really want to do...or else all the training and sacrifice will just make you bitter. And bitter is bad. Running should always have an element of joy - and fun - to it. It should never feel like 'work.' IMHO.

Maybe shoot for a different goal to get excited about! A triathlon? Run a half-mary in XX amount of time...Or try something completely new!

The marathon thing will still be there, waiting for you! Marathons don't get mad if you cheat on them or if you spend time with someone else. They're patient.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Nope no wimps on this site. And if you ever want to experience running in snow, come on up and visit Karen & I. We know it well.

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger David said...

I think you have to be mad to run a marathon. Whether it is a mental condition or an emotional state I do not know. What we do know is that it can pull you up into it's swirling cycle of training at any time and carry you to the start line or spit you out like a flying cow.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

You're hilarious. Hello? You've *already* run a marathon! In what universe would that ever qualify you as a whimp? Speaking for myself, the marathon holds no appeal for me. It passes over the line into *too* much. Not the actual marathon, but the leading up to it. I personally loved doing a half. It's long enough that you feel like you really *did* something, but short enough that the recovery is fast, and there's less chance of getting injured during the training.

Perhaps, if you really really really need a new challenge, you can run pregnant. hahaha :)

ps- I totally know what you mean about the fumes from cars! Isn't it nauseating???

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I can't imagine it makes you a wimp. The training schedule looks incredibly long and hard. 18 weeks of training and in the Floriday heat! I can understand why its a tough thing to look forward to, especially when you've already conquered it once. You know what you are in for.

And watch that Forerunner. Have you registered it yet with Garmin? Better do it now so that if you need work done on it, it will be covered under warranty.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Stefanie said...

I love running. My first Marathon-Time 3.33.32. So happy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home