Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Monday, March 21, 2005

the end of Spring Break

Back from the nation's capital... and visiting family in the Carolinas. When I travel I constantly have to remind myself that a vacation isn't reality. It's hard, because I always covet where other people live and imagine how much better my life would be if I lived there too. But once you're living there (wherever there is) on an everyday basis, all the hassles of everyday life take away the novelty. Such is life.

While in DC, I ate and ate and ate and ate some more. Highlights included pomegranate margaritas and guacamole liberally spiced with cilantro at Rosa Mexicano, the best french toast I've ever had (challah bread with an intense, pecan-maple syrup), a French bistro in Dupont Circle with amazing ravioli baked in gruyere and cream sauce, Italian pizza with all organic ingredients, prosciuttio, and lots of woodsy mushrooms, and a crust that was the perfect combination of soft and crispy. One night my friend Beth also cooked amazing spare ribs in a lemon and olive sauce, and another night, my host Mara made a pretty tasty tofu stir fry.

I managed to get in one visit to Mara's excellent YMCA-- seven floors full of state-of-the-art machines of all kinds-- and I also had a good run with some big hills thrown in for good measure. Did a five miler and three miler while in South Carolina, so I'm pretty happy I managed to get in four good exercise days while still getting substantial amounts of rest for my IT band over a ten day period.

Back to the grind-- but one thing I really did miss, among all the friends and food and culture in DC, was the weather in Florida, ironically enough. It was great to be driving home and watch the car thermometer register higher and higher, with sunny skies and tall palms welcoming me back to Florida. (We'll all be paying for it this summer, and into fall with the hurricanes, but right now, it's ideal).

I drove to my usual running trail this morning to find a creepy-looking guy sitting on a picnic table, no signs of a vehicle nearby. I was a little creeped out but saw a woman walking her dog, so I ventured onto the trail for a warm-up walk. The guy looked confused about his purpose at first but then he ran by me on the trail-- he was wearing long black socks, and his white-blonde hair was long and not in any kind of ponytail, both of which made me think might not really be a runner (Also I'd never seen him before). I ran for a little bit but got freaked out as the trail started to get more deserted and woodsy, thinking maybe he was pretending to be a runner but was actually waiting ahead in the bushes. So I turned around, got back in my car, drove to work, and ran around the busy neighborhood there.

Have any of you ever felt unsafe/wary/freaked out on a run? I hate that feeling.

12 Comments:

At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time in DC. Dupont Circle is one of my favorite places. I enjoyed marinated swordfish kabobs one night and the farmer's market on Sunday morning is wonderful. One of the reasons I won't run on trails alone is that creep factor. I'm too nervous to take a chance, so I wreck my legs on sidewalks when I don't have a choice.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Yay for great vacations and great food! Boo for freaks on the trails that scare the crap out of you. I've never had to stop on a run because of it, but I would have done exactly what you did, given the circumstances. Really, trust your gut on these things. There will be other runs! Glad your back, I missed reading you...

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger warren said...

Yuck. Well, you probably did the right thing. It's a shame to have your run cut short like that, though.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Sounds like you did the right thing with Mr. Freako. He didn't sound like he was up to any good. Your first instinct about someone like that it usually the right one. Better to change or miss a run than end up dead in the bushes somewhere.

I get freaked out by the gunfire in the woods when I run.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger brent said...

this post made me very hungry, that food all sounded great. mmm. that dude sounded pretty freaky though. one time i found an isolated trail that was cool...until someone had their car window smashed in. i've never been back.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger David said...

Welcome back! Like Susan, I have had some great food and memorable moments in DC and duPont Circle. It's a great town to visit. And I agree with Brent that your description of food was superb. I could smell it and taste it and now I'm hungry. I am also glad you have come to appreciate at least the weather back here in sunny Florida. Get ready for some summer like weather this weekend - 84-86 degrees!

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for cars melbourne
cash for cars toowoomba

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
car removal sydney
cash for cars sydney online quote

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Car Removal NSW said...

Thanks for sharing such a nice information. We provide a free cash quote over the phone and online. To get an unwanted scrap car buyer , you can call us at the number below or fill out our online quote form that is located at the top right of this page

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger North Coast Wreckers said...

Great post and very informative post. North Coast Wreckers provide the best used or new car parts at an affordable price. Whether you are looking for an auto part for your engine. Cash for Trucks Townsville

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Local Cash For Cars said...

Really very happy to say, your post is very interesting to read. Local Cash for Car is a licensed auto removal company that buys all types of used, junk, scrap, broken, and damaged vehicles for as much as up to $8,999 unwanted car removal.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger BNE Copper Recycling said...

Hello! I found your website on google and found it very useful and informative for our business and I also shared your website with my other friends also. BNE Copper Recycling do eco-friendly scrap metal recycling ipswich and pay you the most competitive prices in the recycling industry. We buy, collect, and recycle your scrap metal and save the planet from the harmful greenhouse gas emanations that are the primary reason behind the ozone layer damage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home