Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Monday, February 14, 2005

valentine's day run

Although I usually run in the morning when it's cool, today I ran at lunchtime, and it was already 78 degrees. There were no trees on the route I chose today; I was recalling the agony of the Disney Marathon's 80 degree temps, and by the end of my four-mile run, the heat had gotten to me. I still somehow averaged a 9:22 min. per mile pace, but I didn't feel very good.

The Outback 12K in two weeks, which David recommended, is on my list of things to look forward to. There's a 3K and a 12K, and the best thing about it is that the race ends with steak and other assorted goodies from the sponsoring Outback chain. The race will start at 3:00 pm, (which is good, because who wants to eat steak at 8 am?) but running in the heat today, I started to chicken out. I signed up some friends for the 3K. Should I run the 3K instead to hang with them? Their race starts an hour earlier...

I think I'm still going to run the 12K-- after all, might as well work up an appetite. But I've also decided I won't think about my time at all. It will be just a fun, long run; I won't wear my Garmin, and above all, I will not push myself to be fast. That way, if the weather's hot I'll make it to the finish line without being overly challenged by the heat. My race goals are therefore to have fun, sail along, and look forward to the steak bites at the end.

3 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Okay, now those are some goals I can get behind! 12 k sounds like a great distance, actually. - Mia

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Whew! I hate running in the heat. It really saps my energy. Now, do you get steak no matter which race you are in? Hmmmmmm. Maybe the 3K is not such a bad idea. :)

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like your friends are slower, more starting out, right?

Run the 3K as a social warmup. I mean, its 3K. That's still under 2 miles. Then go out there and nail that 12K to the wall while your friends cheer you on for running faster than they did for four times as far. Then eat steak with a clear concience.

Or not. Your call.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home