Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Friday, January 28, 2005

goodbye marathon weight!

This was the first full week of classes at the college where I teach, and since I'm not yet an old hand at teaching, I feel extremely stressed at the beginning of the term. I spend several hours preparing for a single class, rereading the books I've assigned because I can't remember their content, thinking of clever visual aids I could bring into the classroom to keep everyone awake. Our email accounts are flooded with notices about meetings, places we need to be, lectures we really should attend, committees we should consider joining. Students are dropping and adding classes like mad, and when they leave your class, it's hard not to take it personally. I'm constantly trying to strike a balance between being tough but not so tough that everyone is afraid to take my classes. All of this is very stressful, but when a class goes well, I feel great. As I was commenting on April Anne's website, it's almost like experiencing a good run. When they're bad (classes or runs), it lowers your mood for the rest of the day.

I have very little energy for running at the end of the day, so I try to run early. It's amazing how much energy that gives me to start my day. Now that school's back in session, I have access to free strength training, yoga and pilates classes again, which is a nice perk. I've managed to lose seven of the ten marathon pounds so far, and my strategy has been to find foods that will help me make it through the day without feeling too miserable and hungry. I've discovered the amazing power of oatmeal-- it doesn't have too many calories and seems to be the one thing I can eat that will keep me going for several hours without getting hungry. I like the slow-cooking oatmeal as opposed to instant.

I'm also discovering which lean cuisine-style frozen dinners I can take for lunch that have relatively few calories and don't taste like a few rubbery noodles with ketchup on top. (Favorite so far-- Healthy Choice Chicken Fettucine Alfredo-- 280 calories), or else I just eat yogurt. I've cut down somewhat on my beloved carbs, but it seems to be working. And next weekend is the Gasparilla Distance Classic in Tampa, where I'll try to run a half marathon, so that will give me the excuse to bring back the carbs for a few days. I believe a few other RBF'ers are running in one of the many Gasparilla races next weekend-- let me know if you're going to be there.

5 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Its nice to see that weight come off again, huh? I gained it all and never got to the race. And it took FOREVER to go away. Its all so unfair.

Good luck with classes. Sounds like you really have your hands full at the beginning of the semester. Remain calm!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger David said...

I think I've mentioned before that I'll be running Saturday in the 15K so will probably miss you on Sunday unless I find an excuse to spend another night in Tampa or St. Pete. I see Pink Lady is coming down from the great frozen north of Canada and I thought a "neighbor" of hers was coming too. The forecast is 51 degrees Saturday morning and 52 for Sunday. I'd call that pretty darned good for runnin'.
Sorry to hear those Tar babies are dropping in and out of your classes. Coming back from winter term was always the wildest time of all for me. I used to panic over teachers or subjects for which I'd signed up and then - all of a sudden - decided they were very poor decisions. Years later, they became the subject of legendary memories. I can't speak for the teachers but I can empathize. "Who are these kids?"

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger April Anne said...

I usually beat at the end of the day too--I might have to start running early. Thanks for a great idea!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger brent said...

i agree with the oatmeal comment. such few calories but it keeps on giving..its like magic.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup Karen and I will be there. Just packed up my fav pink top, it will have a Penguin on it, so I might be easier to spot that way. I figure I will be about 3 hours or so. I will be watching Karen on Sat and who knows maybe we can spot David, too. Good luck with your race!....Dawn (aka Pink Lady)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home