Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Saturday, January 29, 2005

running and personality types

Yesterday I felt completely out-of-sorts. I had a good, physically draining Pilates session but no running (I don't run every day), and as the day wore on everything seemed to be putting me in a bad mood-- bad weather, bad traffic, bad meetings, bad movie selection at the video store. I tried telling myself that I had nothing to get upset about and no legitimate reasons to feel mad at the world, but to no avail. I was glad to get the day over with.

Today, by contrast, was terrific, and I can't help but wonder if running was that magic bullet that started things out right. I went for a six mile run and the weather was fine-- partly sunny but not too hot, breezy, just the right weather to cruise along in a tank top and shorts and feel perfectly comfortable. Later some friends and I went to a cultural festival in honor of the novelist Zora Neale Hurston. Isaac Hayes of "Shaft" fame was singing live, there was jerk chicken on offer, people dressed in colorful outfits, and lots of cool Afro-centric art and jewelry. While the rest of the South experiences ice storms, the weather in Florida continued to be balmy and nice.

I sometimes wonder if running attracts a particular personality type. While I try as hard as possible to give the impression of being a laid-back person, I know deep down that I'm very anxious, and I've found that running is a good thing because it forces me to chill out. Running reduces my anxieties, boosts my moods, and somehow makes it easier to handle whatever curve balls life throws me. The more serious I get about running, the more it seems to have this effect. Is this true for others who love running?

7 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger David said...

Yesterday was your trademark bad day in Florida. Do not feel alone. Today was very nice, especially as the day wore on and the clouds cleared.
I would be a type B person - laid back. Yet I find running eliminates the anxieties of yesterday or whatever I anticipate for the day ahead. I'm glad it works for you. Don't you find a way to work through your troubles while running?

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I was talking about running the other day and came to the realization that I never get that "release" feeling when running. Everybody else seems to loose all that stress and I end up feeling tired AND still stressed. And the races just hurt, alot. But I can't stop. Can't stop at all. Its just crazy.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

I used to think that I could just take a worrisome thought with me out on a run and that if I just concentrated on it while running I would be able to solve it.

That's not how it works for me. I can't solve my problems by running, but I can escape from them for just a little while. The problems don't just "release" - I have to choose to let them go - but I run better and feel better when I just shrug my shoulders and get totally into the act of running.

When I come back to reality after a run, somehow I feel a little more positive about it for having been able to step out of it for a moment.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Downhillnut, I think I feel the same way. I can't necessarily solve my problems, but I do escape them, and I do feel more positive about life when I'm done with a run. Jon, I'd be curious to hear more about your motivations-- we all obviously feel some sort of compulsion to run, and I'm interested in what drives others out there, day after day. And David, it's nice to see that other runners are laid-back-- I'd probably describe myself as Type A but trying to hide it... :)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger brent said...

interesting topic. i think i might be a b+/a- :) i'm a bit of a laid back person in a high stress/intense job. running provides a solace from the insanity, an outlet for release (lifting does too). except when you get too crazy and develop shin splints...yikes!! i think i gotta rest for a couple days.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger April Anne said...

I could not agree more. Running lowers my stress level by 1,000 percent! :)

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Tiggs said...

A Zora Fest?!?! I have never heard of this. Sounds awesome. ZNH is my favorite author!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home