Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Saturday, March 05, 2005

running modesty

Something that grosses me out just a bit is men racing without shirts. This may be due to a few unfortunate racetime encounters with big, sweaty, hairy, shirtless dudes, jostling me in a manner far too intimate for a race with strangers. Or a particularly potent memory of a man doing a pre-race stretch right in my face, his arms up to the sky, allowing me a close-up of underarm hair long enough to weave into braids. (For this I dread starting line-ups in the dark). I have noticed that at races, men of all shapes and sizes seem to have no compunction about sharing themselves with their neighbors, and in some pretty close quarters. When a friend of mine sent me this,
I had to laugh.

In a stunning coincidence, a few minutes later I was browsing the net for local races, and I came across the Hidden River Trail Streak. All sorts of questions came to mind, including whether it would be difficult to run without, um, support. I couldn't help but imagine the karmic justice if I could send some of those shirtless dudes over to this race, where they could fully express themselves.

6 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny post. I notice at the gym that some of the buff guys just have to make sure that everyone can see those muscles in their torn up muscle shirts (barely a shirt at al). The rules are that guys have to wear shirts so they're technically following the rules, but...

Of course, these guys are rather nice to look at so I don't mind!

I generally agree with you about races...and guys racing without shirts. But then again, I have to say...it depends on the guy. And what he looks like to be honest. hehe.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger brent said...

hi. don't worry i will always wear a shirt, i know better! :)
i use hello for pictures on blogger, it should be free. www.hello.com
download that and you should be almost there. its pretty easy to use. i don't know anything about html or css or whatever that stuff is and i figured it out ok. it seems like it might not be free forever but so far so good. good luck!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

ohg Rachael. You are reading my mind. A woman would go to any lengths to hide a birth mark on her knee, but at the swim club we belong to a middle aged man will strut about in a speedo with his hairy back and his beer belly like there's no tomorrow. I find it downright inspiring, to be honest with you!
- Mia

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Spoilsport! :D

Yes, I don't really enjoy seeing guys running without shirts. Ewww. Come to think of it, I really don't have much affinity for guys without shirts ever.

One time when I was at Duke, I was heading into the gym and ran smack into the sweaty chest of Danny Ferry (big tall basketball player?). Blech! I almost puked.

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger vj said...

This is too funny, Rachel. My best running buddy (she runs, I walk, but we like to do races together) wants to do a clothing-optional race in Washington State. There are just too many parts of my body that I want to protect myself from. I guess for me it's less modesty as having many flopping and rubbing parts!

And men! Yes, they should wear shirts until someone asks them to remove them. There's just too much there that I don't even want to be acquainted with.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Funny stuff! I'm a guy who has a decent amount of hair on my back and it is the main reason why I won't wear a singlet. I don't like the way it looks! (Other than the fact that I still have some weight to lose up front to make everything look decent.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home