Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Friday, February 25, 2005

(take it easy) race tomorrow

Thanks to everyone for the supportive comments about my last post. I really appreciate it, and the comments helped me through a tough week. If anything I've been using this time just to be thoughtful and reflective about life, to be grateful for what I have, and to think about what my priorities and goals in life really are, because we never know how much time we have to accomplish them.

Last weekend I was on a bit of a bender in terms of eating, but I was surprised to discover I'd dropped another pound and a half after the weekend. I'd been eating cheesecake, buffalo wings, steak-- comfort foods-- so it was somewhat of a miracle. I'm finally back to pre-marathon weight, and I can really notice a difference. I still can't believe I gained 10 pounds through training.

I've been running, but decided to take two days off before tomorrow's 12K Outback race. I really like the t-shirts-- a cool painting of a kangaroo with a little baby kangaroo in her pouch. For once I don't mind the corporate sponsorship and am excited about steak. Still planning not to run as fast as I can, not to wear the Forerunner, just to have fun, maybe wear my Team In Training singlet in Sandy's honor... or not, depending on how rainy it is. I went for a four mile tempo run on Wednesday and had tons of energy but later on started to feel creaky. The next day I still felt creaky. I had energy, but just felt like my body was kind of sore and worn down. This makes me even more certain that I don't want to run fast tomorrow, since I've discovered that sometimes running fast=feels good in the moment=injury later.

Which makes me wonder: how often should we take breaks from running, and how long should those breaks be? I'd be curious to hear how other RBF'ers weigh in on this debate. I wish I liked some other form of aerobic exercise that doesn't pound on my legs. I'm a terrible swimmer, and I don't own a bike. I've heard about water running, but am not quite sure how to do it. Any ideas?

4 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger brent said...

good luck tomorrow, hopefully the weather will be nice and there will be fun times all around.
unfortunately i don't know enough to offer you advice but i'll be looking to see what those other experts have to say :-)

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Good luck in the race, although you are probably toeing the starting line right now. :)

In the past, I have done biking or stepmill for some crosstraining in between running. Its not as good as running but your body does need it. What about a cardio-kickboxing class?

Weight training is good too. Not aerobic, but its a break from the pounding and muscle strength is important. I am always surprised at how much strength I lose if I stop lifting weights and just run. You'd think you would keep strength in your legs, but you don't.

Not much help here. Sorry. :(

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Kickboxing sounds like fun... I have a friend who does that, so maybe I'll find out where she takes her classes. I do lift weights twice a week or so, and I like the effect it has, but I need more cardio...

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger David said...

Taking a break. Do you have another race in mind? something to train up to? Depending on how far off it is, you could take 2 weeks off the road and not lose too much conditioning and mend up.
Cross training. You didn't say you don't like riding a bike; you just don't have one. If you owned one you'll love it the next few weeks. There are (really) some safe places to ride. And once you own it, you don't have to pay anything to support it except maybe "biking wardrobe" :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home