Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

end of the year

The school year is finally over. I gave my last exam yesterday, and although I have a mountain of papers and exams to grade, the end is in sight, the students are headed home, and things are winding down. I saw off my parents and my mother-in-law this morning, then went for a three-mile run in the late morning heat, admiring landscapes and making plans for mine. (I have been in Florida exactly a year today, and I can't get over how flowers bloom here year-round-- bougainvillea, Mexican heather, lantana, plumbago. I have planted one of each but now want a yard full-- a riot of color). I went grocery shopping, bought some hummus spread, chicken legs to marinate in a tandoori yogurt sauce recipe I found in the latest issue of Food & Wine, and a six pack of Sam Adams. Now I'm set to sit back on the porch and start grading.

I did withdraw my name from the New York marathon lottery, and I felt okay about that decision. Thanks for the supportive comments. My running partner called last night and asked if I wanted to run the Marine Corps marathon with her in October, and although the prospect of having a buddy to train with sounded tempting, I think I would still have to decline. I'm not ready to do another marathon just yet, and I'm also not totally convinced that I'm built for them. Injury-wise, I fear that training for another might put me out of commission for running entirely-- there are still some lingering problems that I didn't have before I started training, and I blame the bi-weekly 16, 18 and 20-milers... I'm going to plan a few half marathons sometime in the winter-- Miami? Tampa again? Definitely Orlando... That will give me the thrill of training with out the agony of de-feet. Ha, ha...

3 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Hey ,ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? Half Marathons are great. Just as much run and all the same food!

And, uh, I'm hoping those semi-weekly 16, 18, and 20 milers don't kill me this year. :)

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger David said...

I think it takes a convulsive moment in time to decide you will run a marathon. I've been close but not yet. It took something like that to get me to do a half marathon a few years back and now they're ... doable goal races. The highlight of my training/running season. Orlando yes. Tampa definitely. Miami??? interesting.
Our town gets mighty quiet when all the kids go home. The bars just aren't quite the same.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger David said...

It's graduation day and I bet you're in your officious looking academic robes saying, "Yes! It's over," but with a little regret.
Oh well. Go for a run and get it behind you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home