Rachel's Marathon Blog

Tackling the first marathon...

Saturday, May 28, 2005

summer hibernation

I'm leaving tomorrow for Morocco. It's probably a good thing, too, because I've had serious motivation issues lately with running. I had so much energy and adrenaline getting me through my first year at a full-time teaching job, taking me through my first marathon, two half marathons, long runs on the weekend, etc, and with the onset of the Florida summer heat (Note to David: how do you deal?) and the ending of the school year, I am just exhausted, completely wiped out. I still make myself go running every other day, but the runs are seldom of high quality. I've temporarily lost that drive that made me want to bounce out of bed in the morning and hit the pavement. Sometimes I even put on my running clothes early in the day only to keep them on all day because I can't motivate to get out the door until the last possible instant. The only good thing I can say about my runs is that I've managed to make 4-milers a regular part of my "bare minimum" physical activity-- which used to be just a three miler every other day. I haven't been motivated to lift weights or do any ab work (ahh, how i miss power abs), and I can already see the muscle loss.

I just can't be a drill sergeant on myself year-round, and I'm okay with that. I tend to have cycles of motivation with everything in my life-- periods where I'm reading and writing prolifically, periods where I can do nothing but watch TV, periods where I'm cooking like I'm on audition for Food Network, and times where I can barely throw together a taco dinner kit. I have to fight that Protestant work-ethic guilt, but I try... Cycles of motivation--do you other RBF'ers have similar issues?

So, not sure about whether I'll update while I'm gone, but I'll be back, and looking forward to catching up with the rest of you... I'm just going into some Florida summer-induced hibernation...

8 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Have fun, and enjoy - guilt free! - whatever it is you decide to do (or not do) with your workouts. I'll miss reading your journal this summer, but I will be trying to live vicariously through your globe trotting!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Have a wonderful time and nothing wrong with a break now and then.

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great trip! I LOVE moroccan food - and I think it's pretty healthy, too. I have cycles of activity and rest, too, some are longer than others. Be confident that when your motivation returns, you'll know just what to do with it.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good trip. yes, my motivation has been zero. I am so preoccupied with other stuff and running is hard to do lately. it must be a cyclical type thing.

I feel guilty, too. I don't have any answers or advice. But all I can say is that you seem to be doing pretty well to me. (4 milers as a bare minimum) That's excellent I think. kirsten

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Hope you have a safe trip, Rachel. Update when you can. And a break away from it all may be exactly what you need. Relax, rebuild. No guilt in wanting to focus elsewhere besides running. There are other things in life. Uh, like chocolate. :)

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hope you are enjoying your trip. I have motivation problems when the weather is rainy and cold like it has been up north for the past 7 months. You may find that a break is exactly what you need to find new motivation.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger David said...

1. Be happy you don't have to live with Roman Catholic guilt. Think about that!
2. But feel enough guilt that you will be back blogging with us when your spirit is refreshed and you're convinced it is time to attend to running with all its joys.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger natalie said...

that was a good post!
Keep inspiring other with your post!

natalie saucony progrid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home